Bedbugs Can Ruin Your Property
Bedbugs continue to be a major problem around the country. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Environmental Protections Agency (EPA) consider bedbugs to be a public health concern. HD Supply has everything you need to manage, control, and protect your facility and property against bedbug infestations.
Bedbug infestations usually occur near or around areas where people sleep:
- Nursing homes
- Dorm rooms
What Do Bedbugs Look Like?
Flat, oval shaped, wingless insects, reddish-brown in color, and about the size of an apple seed.
Signs of a Bedbug Infestation
Bedbug bites leave itchy, red welts on the skin. However, that is only one sign of a possible bedbug infestation. Fleas, ticks, and lice can cause similar skin irritations.
To verify the problem is bedbugs, look for:
- Live bedbugs about the size and shape of an apple seed
- Black or dark fecal spots on fabric or sheets
- Rust or red colored stains on fabric or sheets
- Tiny white eggs or eggshells
Where to Check For Bedbugs
Bedbugs are small and commonly hide in these areas:
Protect Against Bedbugs
Preventing bedbugs is possible. HD Supply has the equipment you need to keep bedbugs away from your property.
- Zippered enclosures that cover the entire mattress and/or box spring prevent bedbugs from nesting inside mattresses and bedding.
Metal Bed Frames & Furniture
- Bedbugs prefer porous surfaces like wood and paper. Choosing metal bed frames and furniture can discourage bedbug hiding and nesting. Discard wicker furniture.
- Use silicone sealant around moldings, joints, baseboards, pipes, and window frames to eliminate bedbug hiding spots
Apartment, multifamily, and long-term care residences benefit from a Bedbug Policy that requires residents to:
- Acknowledge the unit is bedbug free at move in
- Agree to not bring in found or used furniture from an unknown source
- Report sightings of bedbugs immediately
- Allow access of the unit for bedbug inspection
Treating Bedbug Infestations
If your property has a serious infestation of bedbugs, you may need professional help. A professional pest management company can combat bedbugs with:
- Extreme heating (baking) and chilling treatments
- Commercial insecticides/pesticides
- Alcohol-based pesticides
- Fumigation or steam